Monday, January 24, 2011

Yuck! Eeeew! Gross! (but really fun!)



Today I went to dissect owl pellets at the Cochran Mill Nature Center. In the owl pellets we could find small animal bones, fur, and feathers. I found a shrew skull. Owl pellets are basically owl throw up. It is all the stuff they can't digest, which winds up in their gizzard. The four types of owls that live in GA are the Barn Owl, the Barred Owl, the Great horned Owl, and the Screech Owl.


shrew skull - can you see the teeth?



me dissecting



my bone chart



owl pellet



Olive the Barn Owl


(I thought this was going to be gross but it was really really fun!)



7 comments:

  1. Hi Anna, I really like your blog post. I think owls are very interesting. We have an owl living in our neighborhood right now. The reason I know this is because we can hear him (or her) hooting at night. I'm guessing it is a hoot owl, but I don't know for sure. Do all owls hoot? What kind of owls live in upstate New York? I don't know. Owl throw up sounds gross, but it also was interesting that you could dissect it. Maybe if you come visit again you could hear our owl. I have not seen the owl because I think they are only around at night. I think they are nocturnal. Do you know what that means?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do this with my 7th graders. It is SO cool. We have a barred owl in our yard. His call sounds like "Who cooks your food?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting and educational post Miss B! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really enjoyed yourself today - it was a fun field trip, wasn't it? See, owl throw up can be cool. :-) Love ya! ~Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I'm a new blogging friend of your Mom's!
    The kids and I wanted to share this link with you...it's a post about OUR owl pellet dissection, too! Looks like you had a great time! You have a very nice blog:))
    http://newsletterextras.blogspot.com/2010/03/hands-on-science.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi anna!this is madelyn!at co-op we had so much fun!i hope i will see you soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Owl pellets are neat! We dissected one a while back in our homeschool with my kids, and I remember doing it when I was in school.
    Hands on learning is fun. :)

    ReplyDelete